Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Merits of Work - A Poem

I often find that I have writer's block when it comes to developing a business report for work.  I prefer to spend my time daydreaming about music or creative writing.  But this report was overdue and I had to kick start my brain in gear so I started the creative by writing this poem.  Regrettably, it didn't have the desired effect I thought it would but I did get the job done the next day...

The Merits of Work

I was assigned a task to write a report today
I'll have to do it in earnest to earn my pay
Some report about topics of such little worth
Bringing change in my pocket to expand my girth

It is hard to get started, for I must lose this smirk
I need motivation, this is a duty not to shirk
Having to toil away, writing about effects of placebo
Prefer to laze in the sun, glass of wine in a gazebo

Maybe start with a poem to get the creative flowing
In the back of my mind there are thoughts of knowing
An artist for sure is nothing without the mission
Hard work still required to affect the condition

It may be the effort of work has lost its poetry
We are compelled to create, to follow our destiny
For freedom is gained by an endeavor well taken
Commitment to excellence is not to be forsaken

It weren't for last minutes, nothing would ever get done
Finally finishing the job to take that walk in the sun
The reward for completion is not what you get from it
But how much more you've become from not having quit

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this essay

 

The jbBop Sessions Design by Insight © 2009